Huntington Castle

Park or garden open Open to pre-booked groups (minimum 6) Open to individuals Museum and/or art gallery Cultural activities or events Courses for adults Available for weddings Available for functions or corporate events Available as a film location

Huntington Castle, Clonegal, via Bunclody, Carlow, Ireland

t: +3535 53 93 77160
e: info@huntingtoncastle.com
w: http://www.huntingtoncastle.com

The House

Huntington Castle was built in 1625, in a valley on the borders of Carlow and Wexford. The site, which was previously occupied by an abbey and a 14th century castle, guards a pass through the Blackstairs Mountains, on the important route from Dublin to Wexford.

Huntington is a large tower-house of rough-hewn granite. It was altered in about 1680 and again in 1720, when it was given a regular façade and a long wing on the northern side. Built by Lord Esmonde, it passed by marriage to the Durdin family, long established in County Cork where they had inherited the estates of William Penn.

In 1880, Helen, the Durdin heiress, married Herbert Robertson, Baron Strathloch (a Scots feudal barony) and MP for a London borough. Victorian additions were made at the rear of the castle while the professional architect owner, Manning Durdin-Robertson, an early devotee of concrete, carried out further alterations in the 1920s.

With her brother Lawrence, the writer and mystic Olivia Durdin-Robertson converted the under-croft into a temple to the goddess Isis in the 1970s while her nephew David, the late owner, and his wife Moira, completed a thorough restoration of the castle, garden and outbuildings.

Huntington contains a number of early panelled rooms and an eclectic family collection, all carefully arranged.

Outside are terraced gardens, an ancient yew walk and seventeenth century formal gardens, laid out in the Italian manner and recently restored. The woods contain some fine specimen trees and the castle is connected to Clonegal village by a magnificent avenue of tall lime-trees.

Huntington is now home to Alexander Durdin Robertson, his wife Clare and their sons Herbert and Caspar. The family is unusually talented and numbers artists, architects, writers and intellectuals amongst its ranks. Perhaps best known is Alexander’s great-grandmother, Nora, author of Crowned Harp, an important memorial of the last years of English rule in Ireland.

Information

Park or garden open

Open to pre-booked groups (minimum 6)

Open to individuals

Museum and/or art gallery

Cultural activities or events

Courses for adults

Available for weddings

Available for functions or corporate events

Available as a film location

Opening Hours

Open House and Garden June 1st to August 31st

2.00 - 6.00 pm daily

Garden only, May & September

House and garden open at other times by arrangement

House and Gardens Adults €8.00 APs & Students €6.00  Children €4 (and under 5s free)

Garden only Adults €5.00

Last tour 5.00 pm