Corravahan , Drung, Ballyhaise, Cavan, Irelandt: +353 87 9772224
Corravahan House is a substantial early nineteenth-century classical house, built c 1840 as a rectory by the Beresford family in the Georgian style. It replaced the eighteenth-century parsonage at Drung and was used as a rectory until 1870, by which time it had been sold to the Reverend Charles (later Bishop) Leslie, a cousin of the Leslies of Glaslough.
Corravahan is essentially a square block, of three bays and three stories over a basement, with a two-bay bow on the west elevation and a substantial return. The original ruled-and-lined rendering was removed from the south elevation in 1890, revealing the rubble limestone construction.
The principal rooms on the ground floor include the drawing and dining rooms, a study and a library. The main bedrooms are on the first floor while the upper (nursery) floor, unused since the 1890’s, included a schoolroom. Having remained in the ownership of a single family for so long, Corravahan House retains much of its original period fittings, including chimneypieces, plasterwork, joinery and timber sash windows with their old glass panes.
The Leslies lived at Corravahan until 1972. After they left the house was only occupied occasionally until purchased by Ian Elliott and his wife in 2003. The Elliotts have carried out a sympathetic programme of restoration which is now nearing completion, while the restoration of the eighteenth and nineteenth-century gardens is continuing. The upper yard contains a coach house and the former staff accomodation.
School visits or programmes
Park or garden open
Open to pre-booked groups (minimum 6)
Open to individuals
Holiday cottages for rent
Cultural activities or events
Available for functions or corporate events
Available as a film location
Open May 29th, 30th, 31st June 1st, 2nd 3rd, 6th 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd. August 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th & 30th September 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 13th.
9.00 am to 1.30 pm 2.00 pm - 6.00 pm Sunday. (Last admissions 1 hour before closing)
Adults €7.00 OAPs, Children and Students €5.00
Entry free to members of IHHA, Irish Georgian Society and The National Trust
Limited parking during restoration works
No dogs please