Collon House

Park or garden open Open only to pre-booked groups (minimum 6) Open for overnight accommodation with dinner Cultural activities or events Available for functions or corporate events Available as a film location

Collon House, Ardee Street, Collon, Louth, Ireland


m: +353 87 235 5645
e: mamcmahon@oceanfree.net
w: http://www.collonhouse.com

The House

Remarkable for its setting in the centre of the village, Collon House was built by Anthony Foster, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, who purchased the estate in 1740.

A further range was added in the 1770s to form an L-shaped house, set back from the street to one side of a crossroads. The original structure is long and low, with panneled rooms, while the later building is considerably more generous in scale. Its interiors are also more elaborate and a “handsome half-turn stair with landings” gives access to the upper storeys.

Anthony’s son John was elected to the family seat of Dunleer at twenty-one and became the member for Louth in 1768. Considered ‘the best informed man in the house’ he was briefly Chancellor of the Irish Exchequer before his election as Speaker of the Irish Commons. He held office from 1785 until 1800, when Parliament was disolved for ever under the Act of Union which he strenuously opposed.  As Speaker he pronounced the last words at the closing session, retaining his official mace ‘for future contingencies’. He was returned to Westminster after the Union and finally rewarded with a UK peerage (his wife had previously been granted two Irish titles) in 1821 after an illustrious political career of over sixty years. 

In “A Tour of Ireland”, published in 1780, the agronomist Arthur Young mentions Foster whose improvements on the Collen estate “were of a magnitude that I have never heard of before.” Amongst these was Oriel Temple, a elaborately classical lakeside folly, subsquently enlarged as the principal residence. Foster’s son Thomas married an heiress, Harriet Skeffington, and the family moved to Antrim Castle when she succeeded as Viscountess Massereene. 

Collon House has been altered over the intervening years but retains many fine Georgian interiors. Now greatly enhanced by sympathetic restoration, fine furniture, pictures and objects. Their rich decoration makes a striking contrast with the plain external façades.

The gardens have also been restored with authentic planting. The entrance overlooks a sunken garden with an intricate box parterre, while the herbaceous border in the the ornamental garden leads to a classical summer house in the Grecian style. 

Information

Park or garden open

Open only to pre-booked groups (minimum 6)

Open for overnight accommodation with dinner

Cultural activities or events

Available for functions or corporate events

Available as a film location

Opening Hours

Open all year round.

Please contact the owners for details.