Ballykilcavan

Sporting activities or events School visits or programmes Cultural activities or events Available as a film location

Ballykilcavan, Stradbally, Laois, Ireland

t: +353 57 8625143
e: dwalshkemmis@yahoo.ie
w: http://www.ballykilcavan.net

The House

 

Ballykilcavan is a charming house of about 1680 near Stradbally in County Laois, in heavily wooded parkland near the road to Athy in County Kildare. Reworked several times over the centuries the house retains its late seventeenth century appearance and is still occupied by the descendants of its original owners who came here in the early seventeenth century. The mid-nineteenth century owner, Sir Hunt Johnson-Walsh employed ’a promising local man’ William Robinson, who subsequently became the doyen of garden designers, influencing a whole school of gardeners by his naturalistic ‘Robinsonian’ plantings.

The estate was acquired in 1639 by Oliver Walsh, a family long established in County Kilkenny where the senior branch rejoiced in the title of Walsh, Lord of the Mountain. Ballykilcavan was probably begun by his son, another Oliver, who died in 1697.

The house has full-height wings like flanking towers at the corners of the entrance front while similar towers at the rear of the house are hidden by later extensions. These towers were a feature of fortified houses of the seventeenth century and lingered on into the early eighteenth century as decorative features. The house consists of a ground floor (unusually just above ground level), an upper floor and an attic storey, where today the dormer windows have been replaced by skylights. While Ballykilcavan has been altered and extended many times over the centuries many rooms retrain their late-seventeenth century dimensions with later decorations.

In the mid 18th century Ballykilcavan was given a more Georgian aspect with a ‘floating’ pediment-gable, a fine cut-stone door case and sash windows with thin glazing bars. There is good 1730s plasterwork on the hall ceiling, and even finer work above the staircase and landing, which is actually the house’s finest room and originally extended from front to back as a gallery before the main staircase was installed.

The first member of the family to achieve prominence was Hunt Walsh, who commanded the 28th of Foot at the siege of Quebec and became a general. He was awarded a valuable estate in Prince Edward Island in a lottery of lands after the Seven Years’ War before succeeding his uncle at Ballykilcavan and becoming MP for Maryborough. General Walsh is likely to have commissioned the magnificent 18th century U-shaped stable block.

The next owner was the general’s brother Raphael, Dean of Dromore, who began an ambitious remodelling including a new facade at the rear with a classical cornice and parapet, and a suite of south-facing rooms.

Unfortunately, work was disrupted by the 1798 Rebellion so Dean Walsh only managed to complete one side of the building, leaving the remainder blank. This provides a single room, a very large drawing room, entered at the half level from the staircase, with a pair of bedrooms overhead. The room is particularly beautiful, with fine late-eighteenth century woodwork, mahogany doors and a finely modelled cornice.

Dean Walsh was succeeded by his sister’s son, a baronet who assumed the name Johnson-Walsh and the estate passed in turn to his two sons. The second Sir Hunt, Rector of Stradbally, was a keen gardener and built a tunnel to his walled garden at the far side of the Stradbally-Athy road. The story is that he with his gardener, William Robinson, who doused the hot-house fires before quitting his position on a particularly cold winter’s night. Nobody noticed his absence and, by the time the fires were re-lit, many precious plants had perished.

Sir Hunt was succeeded by his son and, subsequently his grandson, whose only child Oonagh married a neighbour, William Kemmis of Shaen. They subsequently changed their name to Walsh-Kemmis and their grandson, David, and his wife Lisa, are the 13th generation to live at Ballykilcavan.

The 1700s layout and avenues were rearranged in the nineteenth century when a new road was built from Stradbally to Athy. A distant section of this road is now on axis with the front door, and acts almost as a continuation avenue with the spire of St. Peter’s First Fruits Church as an eye-catcher in distance. Much of the estate is given over to native woodland, with some spectacular specimen oaks and Spanish chestnuts, and the record Irish black walnut.

Information

Sporting activities or events

School visits or programmes

Cultural activities or events

Available as a film location

Opening Hours